Being a mum is hard work. You don’t always find the time or energy to spend hours cooking or cleaning up after. Especially while taking care of your little one. But my little one loves potatoes. And cauliflower. So I make this dish very often.
This dish is a staple in most North Indian households. I have very fond memories associated with it. Back in school, my friends had dropped in unannounced one day, and mom had made aloo gobhi for lunch. She made puris (fried Indian bread) for us, to eat along with the aloo gobhi and yoghurt, and we ate like that was our last supper (as my soul sister puts it)! To this date we all remember that meal very fondly.
This recipe is my favorite version of the traditional ‘Gobhi Aloo’ (Gobhi is Cauliflower and aloo stands for potatoes in Hindi). It’s not just easy to make, it’s quick (takes just 30 minutes to cook) and makes the most delicious ‘Gobhi Aloo’ I have eaten! The cauliflower florets and potatoes are crunchy and so flavourful. And my least favourite part of cooking, the clean up after, is super quick and easy!
Here’s the recipe:
- Baby Potatoes – 8 (cut in wedges)
- Cauliflower – 1 medium sized (broken in florets)
- Salt – 1.5 teaspoons
- Ginger – 2 inches (chopped finely)
- Garlic – 6 cloves (chopped finely) or 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Turmeric – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 2 teaspoons
- Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- Dried mango powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Cilantro – A handful (chopped)
- Wash and dry the potatoes and cauliflower florets.
- Spread the vegetables on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Add ginger, garlic and oil. Mix well so the oil coats the vegetables. Then add the spices and mix well.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 420 degrees Fahrenheit, for 30 minutes in the middle rack.
- After 15 minutes, remove tray and mix the vegetables. Put the tray back in the oven.
- At the end of the 30 minutes, check if the potatoes are done. Sometimes they may need an extra 5 minutes in the oven.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve hot with Indian bread.
Voilà! Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve hot with Indian bread.